On Sunday the Associated Press released a new college football poll and for the first time since Sept. 20, 1994 the Indiana Hoosiers were among the teams listed, coming in at number 24 nationally.
Again: the Indiana Football Hoosiers are ranked. Like nationally. By the Associated Press. For being good at football.
With this in mind, here are some things that were going on around the last time that the Hoosiers were in the poll:
- Multiple CQ staffers (including myself) and IU’s current players had yet to be born
- IU men’s soccer had only won three national titles
- Tom Allen was coaching at Temple Heights Christian School in Tampa
- Nebraska was in the midst of winning back-to-back national championships (lol)
- rutger went 5-5-1 in the Big East, which is where they belong
- Butler had made the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament one time
- The MLB players were on strike
- Venus Williams made her professional debut
- A gallon of gas cost $1.14
- Friends debuted on NBC
- Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption premiered
- // by Boyz II Men was the top album on the Billboard charts
- The Notorious B.I.G. released Ready To Die