News, notes, and any other tidbits dealing with Hoosier recruits and targets
- Justin Smith, Indiana’s 4-star commit out of Stevenson HS (IL), was ranked #77 in ESPN’s reshuffled 2017 Top 100 this past week. For those who are concerned about a slide in his ranking, Smith seems to be hurt by playing in a relatively weak conference in the northwest suburbs of Chicago compared to the type of schedule that the Huntington Preps and Oak Hills of the world play. On the court, he has done nothing but flat out dominate, as evidenced by his stats below.
POY & Mr. Basketball Candidate - SF Justin Smith— Stevenson Basketball (@SHS_BHOOPS) January 23, 2017
Thru 16 games
21.9ppg 9.5rpg 1.8apg 1.4spg 1.2bpg
45 dunks, 26.19 EFF Rating pic.twitter.com/tgsfzerzOL
- While I hate to put stock in something like the 247 Crystal Ball to glean information on where a kid will commit, the lack of Jordan Tucker (ESPN #40 overall) news has got me clinging to literally any update on his recruitment, and his page is too interesting to not share. While he has said he hopes to make a commitment in the near future, all 17 predictions among recruiting analysts have him pegged for IU, for whatever that’s worth. In more tangible news, Tucker poured in 21 points and 7 rebounds in a 64-51 Wheeler (GA) win over Pickerington Central last week, continuing a stretch of remarkably consistent high-level basketball for the 4-star senior.
- Outside of Tucker, Indiana is still actively in the market for other 2017 recruits, too. Mark Smith, a complete unknown to Indiana fans as recently as last week, is now a name to keep an eye on. A former baseball commit for Missouri, Smith recently changed course and will pursue a basketball scholarship. The 6’4” senior guard is averaging 22.4 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 7.9 assists a game for Edwardsville HS (IL). Based on the video below, Smith is a big-bodied guard who has a knack for aesthetically-pleasing passes, and while he doesn’t have elite athleticism, there is a whole lot to like here.
- If you were bored by the simplicity of Mark Smith’s name, Tom Crean has got your back. Jericole Hellems, a 6’6”, 195 lb SF out of Chaminade Prep (MO), was offered this week as Crean got an in-person look at the 3-star 2018 recruit, who put up 47(!) points in a win last Saturday over Althoff Catholic. An athletic, under-recruited, projectable wing from the state of Missouri? Hmm, sounds familiar.
Blessed to receive a offer from Indiana University pic.twitter.com/OfZuGkMcdS— Jcole.4 (@JericoleHellems) January 25, 2017
- While only the most ardent of Indiana fans will remember his name, Sid Wilson is back in the recruiting picture for 2018. A 6’8”, 180 lb SF out of Brewster Academy, Wilson mentioned Indiana as one of 5 schools recruiting him the hardest right now. Having been offered by Chuck Martin and the Indiana staff before having ever suit up for a high school game, Martin’s foresight is looking very smart right now. Wilson is yet another NYC kid, as Martin continues to transform one of the biggest markets for high school basketball talent in the country into a hotbed for Indiana recruiting.
- As always, keep up to date with our ever-changing recruiting board.