According to Kevin Wilson immediately after Indiana’s big Old Oaken Bucket win against Purdue, backup quarterback Zander Diamont will not be returning to the team next season (nor any other team).
Kevin Wilson said Zander Diamont came to him a week ago and told him he's done with football. #iufb— Sam Beishuizen (@Sam_Beishuizen) November 26, 2016
Based on Zander’s own comments, it sounds unlikely that he’ll be playing in whatever bowl game IU ends up getting.
Zander Diamont says decision to stop playing football is pretty much final. Mentions concussions. Wanted to go out the way he wanted #iufb— Sam Beishuizen (@Sam_Beishuizen) November 26, 2016
Diamont was mostly a backup for his career at IU, first to Nate Sudfeld and then to Richard Lagow. He did start six games as a freshman and one as a sophomore, and found some success this season in a special package teamed with Tyler Natee. Probably the biggest impact he had as a Hoosier came in last year’s close loss to Ohio State, as he came in to relieve an injured Sudfeld, did some things like this, and had IU in position to win at the end of the game (though obviously it didn’t end up happening). He also smoked a cigar once whilst holding a bucket.
It sounds like it’s probably for the best that he won’t be playing anymore – especially if it is indeed due to concussions – but Zander was fun as hell, and I’ll miss watching him play.