The facts: Tremont Waters, the #10 PG and #37 prospect overall in the class of 2017, will make his college decision tomorrow. He is deciding between Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, and Georgetown. Here are some of his highlights:
There are two general ways to handle the next 24 hours, and you are free to choose our template for your emotions if you so please:
Of course Waters will be wearing the candy stripes next year.
- There is substantial momentum in the recruiting world that suggests Waters is heading to IU. In the past day alone, 8 national recruiting analysts and 79% of all analysts on 247's Crystal Ball have predicted Waters commits to the Hoosiers.
- The 5'10", 160 lb guard by all accounts had a fantastic visit to Bloomington in which he got the full Indiana red carpet treatment, including some thrilling accounting homework. Playing time is a major factor in his recruitment and Indiana offers a direct route to a starting job in a way that Kentucky and Kansas cannot, as they are still chasing a number of other 5-star PG recruits.
- He's done taking his visits to other schools, including a 2nd visit to Georgetown last week that may or may not result in a recruiting infraction for the Hoyas because of a tweeted-out picture from Georgetown's official account that Waters appeared in. More to the point, part of the appeal of delaying your decision is to get the full experience of being recruited and enjoying your official visits, and Waters has done just that.
Oh god, no. I've been down this road to heartbreak before. He's not coming to Indiana and Tom Crean has no backup plan.
- That Georgetown visit scares the hell out of me. Who visits a second time to a local school after an official visit without actually intending to go there? Looking at you, Kris Wilkes.
- Ah no, this is bad. Paul Scruggs just committed to Xavier. If we lose out on Waters we will be stuck fielding a mid-major talent as our starting PG and will be destined for 4th-7th place B1G finishes and 1st round tournament exits for the next 4 years.
- FIRE TOM CREAM! FIRE TOM CREAM!