Today, Max Hoetzel started a petition on Change.org, urging the Pork Producers' Council and the US House of Representatives to ban the use of gestation crates. From Max's petition (sic):
- The usage of gestation crates needs to be banned because the practice is flat out cruel.
- Every year, millions of pregnant mother pigs are forced to breed in the small, dirty confinement of a little crate, that is so tight the pig can't even turn around.
- The pigs spend the majority of their life in these stalls until they are dead or eaten.
- Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, Ohio, Oregon, and Rhode Island have all passed laws to ban the use of gestation crates in their state. Now we need the rest of the states to get on board!
- Many of the largest food companies like Denny's, Burger King, and McDonald's have announced that they will not receive pork from suppliers who use the crates.
- If these farmers are going to continue these force breeding practices, they can at least give the pig a comfortable place to leave.
- What do you think?
- Make a change today!
Max says this is for a class, but whatever. Here at CQ, we support student-athletes with a strong social conscience. Good work Max! CrimsonQuarry.com supports you! Go sign this man's petition, people.
In support of Max's quest to help keep pigs out of crates, here are ten adorable pictures of pigs.