News, notes, and any other tidbits that deal with Hoosier recruiting targets
Class of 2016
- De'Ron Davis has continued his ascent and is starting to tap into the raw potential that has made him such an appealing prospect. In the Tarkanian Classic in Las Vegas, Davis led his Overland squad to a championship, with a thrilling 58-56 victory over the much-heralded Bishop Gorman, featuring 4-star Gonzaga commit, PF Zach Collins. Davis played the hero role well, as he accounted for the game winning basket with 4 seconds left.
In the semifinals, Davis did a bit of everything as he had a stellar line of 16 points, 12 rebounds, 6 blocks, and 4 steals as Overland beat Bingham (Utah), which featured 6'7" BYU commit Yoeli Childs.
Just watched IU signee De'Ron Davis. Usually it's his O that impresses, but today he was active on D. Blocked shot & showed good timing.— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) December 17, 2015
- Not to be outdone, Curtis Jones got in on the game-winning bucket action, making the final 2 of his 19 points matter most in a 65-64 win over Oldsmar Christian at the Chick-Fil-A Classic in South Carolina on Monday. Earlier in the week, Huntington Prep cruised to a 93-64 win over Cape Fear, where Jones had a double-double, finishing with 12 points and 10 assists.
- Grant Gelon had a bit of an up and down week. After an absolutely abysmal performance (2 points) in a loss to Warren Central in which he was constantly faced with a double-team, Gelon bounced back with 17 points in a 53-38 victory over Munster.
- Everyone's favorite recruit Thon Maker has had himself quite a start to the season, and is very much in peak form at the moment. In an 86-78 victory last week, Maker had an unfathomable line of 30 points, 12 rebounds, and 9 blocks. He then followed that up with a 32 point performance in a win over The Hill Academy.
As far as his recruitment goes, expect the hype train to pick up some steam in the coming weeks, as his guardian looks to set up some visits to possible landing spots for the 7'0" uber-prospect. As you can see below, Indiana is still very much in the mix.
Thon Maker's guardian said they'll start setting up visits soon. None set yet. Notre Dame, Kansas, Arizona State, Indiana, St. John's in mix— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) December 21, 2015
- This week marks the return of the beauty and wonders of Rawle Alkins' twitter account. Whether it's posting his own stat lines with just fantastic hashtags like #SAVAGELIFE, or posting pics of all the latest recruiting pitches he's receiving, Alkins is a quality follow. He's also pretty good at basketball, as evidenced by his 51 point performance in a 121-101 win over Victory Prep, all while Tom Crean sat in attendance, ogling him from afar.
Finally got a triple double as a holy ram ! 25 points 11 rebounds & 12 assist #SAVAGELIFE— Rawle Alkins (@Iam_RawleAlkins) December 20, 2015
Savage life, indeed.
- The newest name on the IU recruiting radar is Devonte Green. Last week, we mentioned Green had received an offer. The interest was sincere, as Tom Crean made his way out to NY to catch him in live action this past weekend. Green was held to 8 points as his Long Island Lutheran team lost to Bishop Laughlin by a score of 67-52.
Class of 2017
- Paul Scruggs has fully made the transition back to basketball season after starring for Southport's football team this fall. With Tom Crean scouting multiple Southport games over the past week, Scruggs has been dominant, dropping in 26 points and 6 rebounds in a win over Bloomington North. Also, he had 27 points and 10 rebounds in a win over East St. Louis.
- Continuing this week's trend of Tom Crean being everywhere at all times, the Hoosier coach was front and center for Hamilton Southeastern vs Park Tudor on Monday night. Zach Gunn, one of 3 kids to receive an IU offer before his freshman year (Scruggs, Wilkes, Gunn), did not disappoint by notching 30 points, albeit in a 57-53 losing effort.
- Kris Wilkes continues to be the anchor for North Central, far and away the best team in the state of Indiana. In a recent blowout of Crispus Attucks, Wilkes led the way with 28 points in an EASY 109-62 win.
- Super prospect Michael Porter, ranked #2 overall in the class of 2017, lived up to his ranking on Monday night, putting up a gaudy stat line of 29 points and 16 rebounds in the City of Palms Holiday tournament.
- Been a while since we've heard from Malik Williams, but the 6'10" junior from Fort Wayne is still very much in Indiana's recruiting picture. In a losing effort versus Brebeuf, Williams filled the stat sheet with a line of 15 points, 6 rebound, and 5 steals.
- As always, keep up to date with our ever-changing recruiting board.