Ed note: David Siegel covers Indiana basketball recruiting for TCQ and SBNation. His weekly recruiting roundup can be found here, every Tuesday, probably.
News, notes, and any other random thoughts dealing with Hoosier recruits.
- O.G. Anunoby had himself quite the busy weekend. After dropping in 24 points in a loss to Raytown South, Anunoby got a bit of personal redemption by winning the slam dunk competition (Vine of the winning dunk is below) at the Holiday Hoop Showcase. He then rode that momentum by putting in another 24 points in a 59-57 win over Lausanne, going 7-12 from the field, 2-4 from downtown, and 8-12 from the line.
- Juwan Morgan and Waynesville were off this week, but are back at it this week at the three-day Rolla Holiday Tournament.
- IU checked in on Lamar Stevens at the Slam Dunk to the Beach tournament in Delaware. Chuck Martin was in attendance as Stevens went for 22 points and 10 rebounds against the likes of 5-star center Cheick Diallo and several other players 6'7" and above. Stevens, a top rebounding forward that can also step out and shoot from distance, said that Indiana is one of the four schools most heavily involved with his recruitment, also mentioning Villanova, Temple, and Penn State
- Rawle Alkins continues to be a favorite of not only mine, but the Hoosier coaching staff, as well. While also playing at the Slam Dunk tournament in Delaware, the IU staff saw Alkins go off for a line of 23 points, 16 boards, 6 assists, 3 blocks, and 3 steals. Rawle is well aware he is a top target, and offered some love for the Hoosier faithful while updating his recruitment in an interview with Peegs.com.
"IU is pursuing me really well, really trying to get me. They send me a lot of mail. They send me a lot of mail with me in an IU jersey," Alkins said with a big smile. "IU, Tom Crean, coach Martin, I have a good relationship with them. They're really cool. I went up to (Hoosier Hysteria), it was great. They have great fans. The atmosphere was amazing.
"They say I can be a pro if I go there. Tom Crean has a history of developing great guards like Dwayne Wade, Victor Oladipo, guys like that."
Alkins said Indiana's fans made a big impression on him.
"They go hard. They're amazing. Before (Hoosier Hysteria), I was driving around with coach Martin and all you see is this whole line. It's like five hours before it even starts. They were screaming, 'Rawle, Rawle.' It's amazing. They already knew who I am before I got up there."
- The Thomas Bryant ship hasn't sailed quite yet, but the writing on the wall is getting louder and louder. The radio silence from his camp regarding IU's involvement in his recruitment is one thing, but when the only updates on him are quotes about UK's late surge in his recruitment and pictures of him cozying up to Syracuse fans at the Carrier Dome, it's hard to remain optimistic.
- In an interesting tidbit from the IU radio ranks, Chuck Martin confirmed that the staff is still actively working on the 2015 class in addition to their 2 official signees.
- Michael Porter Jr., a top 2017 SF from Missouri, did this tonight. Although he holds an IU offer and did used to live in Indiana, I don't know if he has even remote interest in the IU program. I mostly just wanted a way to work this clip into the post.
- As always, keep up to date with our ever-changing recruiting board.