Indiana shot 60 percent from the field and held Wright State to 36 percent shooting and dominated the Wright State Raiders 67-44. IU led by 11 at halftime and WSU stuck around for a while, but IU put things away in the middle of the second half. I don't have enough time for a long recap, but here are some of the highlights:
- Verdell Jones III scored a career-high 27 points on 11-14 from the field;
- Christian Watford scored 17 on 6-10 shooting;
- Unfortunately, Jones and Watford combined for 11 of IU's 20 turnovers;
- Maurice Creek played only 16 minutes, but scored 9 points on 3-4 from the field;
- Victor Oladipo scored 6 points off the bench and had 2 steals, but 6 turnovers.
Overall, this was a flawed but encouraging performance. Wright State was missing one of its best players, but is far from a pushover, and IU controlled most of the game. At the very least, this game provides hope that IU will be able to avoid the embarrassing missteps against lower tier teams and might make it to the Big Ten season with a strong record. IU plays Mississippi Valley State on Tuesday.