I hope that this letter finds you well as you prepare for your annual journey of joy dispensing. Some of my friends at Crimson Quarry have been discussing the current basketball season, and their expectations and wants. Given that you like to "rock the Crimson", I have always figured you for an IU fan, too.
I have been especially good this year. Well, actually, the last three years. We have put up with quite a lot since Denim Shirt left. We have done so patiently, and without a lot of griping. I even made it through Kentucky week without making an inbred joke (John M. did not, however, so if you want to give him a lump of coal, that's up to you). Anyway, here's my wish list:
- Twenty-three wins. Ken Pomeroy says that's likely. I'm not sure how you fit it in my stocking, but it's a winning conference record.
- An appearance of the candy-striped warm up pants on Sunday of the Big Ten tournament. You got me this once, what seems like an eternity ago. It was awesome. I'd really like another, please.
- An appearance in the NCAA tournament. I know, I know. You used to get me these all the time and I took them for granted. I promise you: NEVER AGAIN will I take it for granted.
- Magic dust for all of Cody Zeller's joints. If you want to fix his nose, that's up to you.
- For IU's defense to hold Illinois under 45 points. I fully understand that it would make Bruce Weber cry, and that it's not good to get a gift that will hurt someone else. But it would be so cool.
- A victory over Purdue. I'd love this. But I am really asking on behalf of Verdell, Matt, and Tom.
That's all I can think of. My friends at Crimson Quarry may have more things to ask for. And go ahead and get ready, because next year, I am definitely asking for a Sixth Banner.
With Sincere Belief,