Current record: 3-8
Current RPI: 317 (IU is #32)
Current Sagarin: 311 (IU is #10)
Current Pomeroy: 302 (IU is #14)
2010-11 record: 6-24 (4-12 MEAC)
2010-11 Sagarin: 334
2010-11 Pomeroy: 340
Pomeroy scouting report
Series: IU leads 1-0
TV: 6:30 p.m., BTN
IU plays its second-to-last pre-Big Ten game on a quick turnaround when IU hosts Howard tomorrow night at Assembly Hall. Just a reminder: IU has only two non-conference games remaining before Big Ten play begins, but because of a February 22 game against North Carolina Central, IU has a total of three non-conference games remaining.
Howard will be the worst team IU has played to date, and the Bisons have been in a rut for a while. It is fair to say that Howard's basketball program has not matched the university's academic and historical profile. Howard's last season with even double digit wins was 2002-03. The Bisons have not beat a Pomeroy top 100 team for as far back as the numbers go, and only two top 200 teams (Oregon State in 2008-09 and LaSalle in 2007-08). IU played Howard once before, in the season opener in 2009-10, Tom Crean's second year, a game IU won 83-60. Here were my notes on the individual performances in that game:
- Maurice Creek led the Hoosiers with 17 points, and he shot 7-11 from the field.
- Christian Watford scored 14 points, shot 4-6 from the field and 5-5 from the line, and had 11 rebounds.
- Derek Elston, in only 14 minutes, scored 14 points on 6-7 from the field, including 2-2 from three point range.
- Jeremiah Rivers scored 6 points, but shot only 2-8 from the field and had 4 turnovers to go with 4 assists.
- In 17 minutes, Jordan Hulls scored only 2 points, but had five assists and no turnovers.
- Verdell Jones scored 9 points, but needed 12 shots to do it.